- General English Examinations
- International ESOL
- Practice papers
- Perfomance codes
- Examination report
- Sample writing tasks
- Recommended booklist
- Classroom activities
- Tips for teachers
- Tips for students
- Guided Learning Hours
- International Spoken ESOL
- International ESOL Diploma
- International ESOL A1 Diploma
- Benefits of our exams
- Study Skills
- Online Courses
- Teacher Development Workshops
International ESOL is one of the most popular examinations sought after by candidates, usually referred to as the 'written exam', however it is made up of Reading, Writing and Listening (and not only writing).
It is great fun for learners to actually take the exam, as they are confronted with interesting language tasks from the everydays, like writing letters to friends, sharing their thoughts, listening to an interesting story or reading a piece of news - to mention a few examples (however the nature of the tasks varies according to level).
City & Guilds International English examinations are on-demand with flexible exam dates*.
The examination system allows learners to sit for the examination with skilled and highly carefully chosen professionals, often at their own school, which results in decreased examination anxiety and increased success in performance. City & Guilds International English Qualifications have been developed on the basis of genuine needs of employment contexts and real-life situations with true emphasis on learners' communicative skills.
Written and spoken examinations can be taken independently of each other at the candidates' and/or the centre's convenience.
Candidates sitting for the examination are allowed to use monolingual dictionaries during the test
Written and Spoken exams are two separate tests that allows learners to prepare and sit for one or the other examination (at any time) focusing on specific skills-areas.
The exams are very student and teacher friendly, with little exam-specific preparation required for the tests and an average exam length of about 2.5 hours for the written exam and 15 minutes for the Spoken exam.
*Please note that in Greece City & Guilds ESOL paper-based exams are offered 6 times a year on set dates. For detailed information about City & Guilds ESOL exams in Greece please visit the following website www.cityandguilds.gr.
** In Russia there are set exam dates for our IESOL / ISESOL examinations. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who are the City & Guilds International ESOL qualifications intended for
- Non-native speakers of English worldwide wanting to provide documented evidence of their knowledge of English, for study or employment
- Students aspiring to enter or exit institutions of higher education, where proof of knowledge of English is a requirement
- People needing English for their everyday or working life
- Learners who require externally recognised certification of their levels in English
- Those who are attending courses over a period and require a series of graded examinations which provide steps up in the ladder of proficiency
with City & Guilds' own publications you are sure to succeed